CAMP yAAC 2024
Registration fee: TBD
to be paid once camper is informed of acceptance into camp
Camp yAAC is coordinated by a community based committee committed to increase the success of children using technology to communicate. Spearheaded by the Open Access Resource Centre and in partnership with our funders we are all very excited to offer your child a camp experience with a special focus on using their communication device.
July 23, 24, 25, 2024
9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Camp Manitou - in Headingley just past the Permimeter off of West Portage Avenue
Support Workers: Children must be accompanied by a support worker that caregivers are responsible for finding and subsidizing. It is recommended that the worker be someone other than family in order to offer your child an authentic camp experience.
We are hoping some of the key outcomes for campers will include:
- New communication opportunities
- Increased proficiency in the use of their device
- Personal development as they participate in new activities and meet new friends
- Learning from peers and seeing role models who use technology
- Motivation through group interactions and friendship building
Camp yAAC participants must meet these requirements:
- School age (up to 21 years old)
- Currently using a communication device for a variety of purposes
- Able to function appropriately in a group setting for the duration of the day at camp
- Accompanied by a skilled support worker (caregivers are responsible for finding and subsidizing their children’s support workers). It is recommended that the worker be someone other than family in order to offer your child an authentic camp experience.
- Caregivers are responsible for transportation to and from Camp Manitou
To view a video of Camp yAAC 2022 at Camp Manitou in action